Monday, October 12, 2015

Malo e lelei Eua!

I made it to Tonga...aaaaaand got assigned to the island of Eua (Ha'atua)!! And it is beautiful. I am the first palangi (white) sister to leave the main island of Tongatapu! It was a struggle trying to get ONE bag down to 50lbs to fly here to Eua. The plane ride was hilarious! The plane was TINY...it had like 15 seats. The runway was some field haha. It was difficult to adjust the first couple days (not being able to speak the language...it's a real struggle!) but I love it!

My companion, Sister Vaa'i, is Tongan but she's from Australia so she learned Tongan here. She is so funny and she has a lot of family in our area so she's able to connect with everyone super well. Our area is pretty small and most everyone is Mormon or Wesleyan. The area book hasn't been updated for over 5 months and so we're kinda starting fresh. The members are super on top of the missionary work here though so I am grateful for that!

The water in Eua has problems and sometimes just shuts off. Luckily, the missionary quarters has a huge water tank that fills up with the rain water and filters it so we've been able to shower out of a bucket and drink from that. That was a real interesting experience but not as bad as I thought it would be!

Clothes have been something to get used to. A girl gave me a couple outfits in the MTC and now we're working to gather some more...haha

This weekend, we were able to listen to conference in Tongan so even though I didn't understand a lot of it, it was fun listening for the words I do know.

Today, for Pday, we were able to go see some of the sights in Eua and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm going to try to send pictures but the internet is super slow so it might not work.

This work is amazing and I'm so grateful to be here! Alma 26...read it...it's an amazing missionary chapter.

Ofa Lahi Lahi Lahi Atu!!
Sister Liti (Reid)

(Comment from our family letter)
We ride in the back of trucks haha and it's so fun and everyone is nice. And I met the missionary couple from Gram's ward :)

(Missionary couples' letter to Tiff's grandma/attached pic)
Sister Bearce and I were having a wonderful experience on our mission in Tonga. We were at the mission office last night picking up a van when we ran across someone you love. Sister Reid was right there.  (Tuesday when Tiff just got to Tonga)

Someone told us there was a new Sister from Orem and wondered if we knew her. The answer was no, but we know her grandmother.
What a small world!
She is going to an island east if us called Eua. It is a forested island and has a logging industry. She will do well there. Her companion is from Australia but is of Tongan descent. I think she will train your granddaughter well.

I hope you enjoy the photograph.
Elder Bearce

Working for the Lord in Tonga!

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Displaying DSC01053.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment